Wednesday, February 27, 2008

How To Deal With Adversity

I kicked open the door to my house.

I was so mad, hurt, upset, and depressed all at the same time. I couldn't believe it. How could she do this to me?

My good friend and groomer had just told me that she was opening her own grooming salon down the road. My friend, the bather and the receptionist had decided to leave and open their own business.

I knew this was not going to be good.

Within a year I had built up the grooming business to about 70 dogs a week. This was no easy task. The town I had opened my business in already had two very well established groomers with over 45 years experience between the two of them, and let me add that the population if the town was about 10,000.

Were not talking a metropolis here.

Anyway, my grooming business went from about 70 dogs a week to about 5 dogs a week.

I couldn't hire another groomer because business was so slow.

I was beyond depressed. But I remembered the quote by Napoleon Hill:

"Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit."


It was during this time that I became a serious student of business and more importantly - marketing.

I discovered that the most successful business people are the ones that understand and know marketing. There is no other activity in your business that is more profitable than the marketing of your business.

I started to develop a system for bringing in customers.

Then I did what the great Jim Rohn calls Massive Action.

I took massive action and started bringing in customers. I wrote a list of all the ways I could bring in customers, I listed all the things I could do to turn things around. In a very short period of time I turned the whole terrible situation into one of the best things that ever happened to me.

In fact, as I thought about it, my friend leaving me really turned out to be the best thing to ever happen to me in business. It forced me to learn how to get and keep customers. When this dawned on me I went down to the local florist and sent all of them a huge bouquet of flowers.

Are you faced with a tough situation?

Do you ever wonder how you are going to keep going. Remember Napoleon Hills words and then take massive action.

You'll be amazed at the outcome.

All the best,

Eric

P.S. Need help taking action? Check out the Groomers Marketing Course

No comments: