Tuesday, February 5, 2008

How To Handle Failure

Okay, as many of you know, I'm a huge Patriots fan and this past Sunday was very depressing for me.

To watch my team and hero Tom Brady go down in flames after a perfect season was tough.

But...

I am a strong believer that you can learn a lot from losing. How do I know that?

Because I have been kicked in the chops more than once. I have had my share of failures. Many of you may think that everything I do is successful. That's not true. I have been on the losing end more times than I care to share.

I have been involved in failed businesses. I have been sued. I have been cheated by contractors. I have had dogs die in my care. I have had to meet a payroll with zero cash in my bank account. I have had employees that I took very good care of turn on me and try to put me out of business...

I could go on and on. The reason I am sharing this with you is because the mark of a true champion is not what he or she does when they win, it has more to do with how they handle failure.

I know that many of you are not football fans but please bear with me.

When I sat down to watch the Superbowl this past Sunday I was nervous. I was nervous because of the look I saw in Eli Manning's eyes. He had a look that was determined. He came out with a look that was not going to be stopped.

I didn't see that same look in Tom Brady's eyes.

I did see that look in Tom Brady's eyes in 2001 when the Patriots were the underdogs going up against the mighty St. Louis Rams and Kurt Warner also know as "The Greatest Show On Turf"..

I also saw that look in John Elway's eyes after he lost a couple of Superbowls with the Broncos and was giving it a third try. Elway played liked someone had a gun to his head and won. I'll never forget the play where Elway was running for the end zone with three defenders coming at him. He smashed through them for the touchdown.

You see, I firmly beleive that you learn a whole lot more from your losses than you do from your winnings...

BUT...

Many people never come back from their losses. Kurt Warner, after losing to the Patriots, went on to become a mediocre quarterback and never really came back from that loss in 2001.

So, if you ever get kicked in the chops deal with it.

Want to know how to deal with failure?

The only way that I know how is to keep moving forward and the best way to move forward is to keep learning. Become a student, immerse yourself in books, tapes, seminars etc.

The internet has so much good stuff for you to read, watch and listen to. Videos, podcasts, articles all there for the taking.

So if you're facing a minor setback or maybe a major one, stop thinking about it and focus on what you can do to change it. Move forward, learn from the mistake, and if you want some advice from me on what to read and who to listen to, let me know. I'll share it with you right here on this blog.

As always your comments are appreciated.

Your friend,

Eric

No comments: